Although Z.E.N.’s school offers hot lunch for purchase, we prefer to pack lunch at home. We are somewhat particular about the foods we eat. We try to only buy organic foods and read labels diligently. By sending packed lunches from home, we know exactly what he is eating.
The issue I run into though is trying to think of new things to send for lunch. Z.E.N. tends to get tired of eating the same thing day after day. The one thing that he never refuses though is Mac and Cheese. If I let him, he would eat it every single day. Luckily, I found a brand of Macaroni and Cheese that is organic. Annie’s Homegrown has a line of pasta products that are certified organic. I feel very good sending him to school with this pasta in his thermos. He loves it as well.
I do try to mix things up a bit. Otherwise, lunch would be boring. Boxed mac and cheese is very easy to make. It’s also very easy to jazz it up a bit. You can jazz it up by adding veggies, meats, and different spices. I used a regular box of Annie’s Homegrown Organic Shells & Real Aged Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese to make a bacon mac and cheese muffins recipe. It was really quick and easy to make.
Here’s the recipe:
Bacon Mac and Cheese Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup precooked bacon
- 1 box Annie’s Homegrown Organic Shells & Real Aged Cheddar Macaroni & Cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs + 2 tbsp.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare Macaroni & Cheese as directed on package.
- Add bacon, shredded cheese and 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs. Stir until combined.
- Divide the Macaroni & Cheese between the cups in the muffin pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.