For most busy moms like me, the idea of having an extra 30 minutes a day just for yourself probably seems like a luxury, and finding motivation to workout everyday is probably not a priority. Most moms will agree that even when things slow down, there’s always something waiting to be cleaned, cooked, emailed or attended to. So how can you make time in your schedule to workout? If you want to make your health and fitness a priority, you need to force some workout time into your schedule. I always found it hard to workout, but I finally decided that it was something that I needed to do and figured out how to make it happen. Here are a few ideas that I implemented that can help you get motivated to workout.
1. Find a Workout Partner
Finding a workout partner was a game changer for me. If you can find a workout partner, you’ll be able to hold each other accountable for workouts and healthy living. Try to incorporate your workout into something that you already do together. For example, grab a co-worker on your lunch break and hit the gym together. If that takes too much time, walk a few laps around the corporate parking lot.
2. Make Mornings Your Friend
I am not a morning person, but I found that mornings are the best time for me to workout. Sure, it’s hard to get out of bed and the alarm clock going off half an hour earlier than normal does not sound enticing. However, if you can squeeze in a workout before your day even gets started, it’s done and you don’t have to think about it again until the next morning. Start putting together a library of workout DVDs that are targeted to a brief but intense workout. Push yourself for 30 minutes and then hit the shower and start the coffee like you normally would every morning.
3. Take a Class
Classes can be fun and another great way to find a workout partner. Pick something that interests you, such as yoga or Zumba or something that focuses on strength and toning. You’ll get motivated to workout when you know you’re going to have a good time, and it won’t feel like exercise.
4. Play More
When you think of workout ideas, remember that playing with your kids can give you a workout just as much as a session with a personal trainer. Take them for a swim and race them from one end of the pool to the other, then do enough laps to get your heart rate up and your muscles sore. Instead of sitting on a bench when you’re at the park with them, chase your little ones around the playground. If you live close enough to their school, walk them to class in the mornings instead of doing the carpool drop off.
5. Learn a Sport
If you’re the competitive type, you’ll get motivated to workout when there’s a win/lose component to it. Join a softball team or a volleyball league. Take some tennis lessons or learn how to play golf.
The best workout ideas will depend on what works for you. Think about what will keep you motivated and provide enough fun that you want to stick with it. You’ll notice a healthier physical form and a lot more balance to your life, which is good for your psychological and emotional well-being too.
I hope you enjoyed these tips on how to get motivated to workout. For more tips, tricks and ideas on how to make this year the best year ever, make sure you check out these helpful articles from some of my blogging friends!
1. How to Set and Keep Goals to Make This the Best Year Ever | Jen @ Girl in Garage
2. 15 Ways to Stay Organised at Work During 2015 | Elizabeth Harrin @ A Girl’s Guide to Project Management
3. How Personal Style Will Help You Achieve Goals Faster in 2015 | Cherene Francis @ Aura Image Consulting
4. Completing Those Unfinished Projects in the NEW YEAR | Angela Lerew @ Unexpected Elegance
5. 42 Ways to Practice Perfectly & Become an Expert at Almost Anything | Amy Garro @ 13 Spools
6. Easy Exercises to do on a Cruise Ship | Amanda Woods @ Adventures All Around
7. 10 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier This Year | Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health
8. 31 Days to a More Fabulous You | Julie Bonner @ Mom Fabulous
9. How to Make This the Best Gardening Year Ever | Kendra Spencer @ a Sonoma Garden
10. 5 Ways to Make this Your Best Monarch Season…Ever! | Tony Gomez @ Monarch Butterfly Garden
11. 12 Scriptures for Goals and Guidance | Julie @ Loving Christ Ministries
12. How to Build a Starter Emergency Fund in 30 Days or Less | Jackie Beck @ The Debt Myth
13. Family Verse of the Week Challenge for 2015 | Jamie Yonash @ Life is Sweeter By Design
14. Hot Work at Home Jobs for 2015 | Holly Hanna @ The Work at Home Woman
15. A Year of Intention | Hilary Bernstein @ Accidentally Green
16. 2015: Our Best Year Yet | Ashley @ Leaving the Rut
17. Create a Better Life Story | Bronwen Warner @ Tummy Time and Beyond
18. Get Ready to Get MDfit | Tom and Anne @ Eat & Be Fit
19. 5 Free Ways to Learn Something New This Year | Sarah Fuller @ Earning and Saving with Sarah Fuller
20. Healthy Leek Soup | Mirlandra @ Mirlandra’s Kitchen
21. Health Resolutions: Baby Steps to a New You | Ellen Christian @ Confessions of an Overworked Mom
22. 5 Ways Busy Moms Can Get Motivated to Work Out | Diane Nassy @ philZENdia
23. Be Prepared for the New Year | Jennifer Dunham Starr @ The Memory Journalists
24. 3 Steps to a Healthier Life in 2015 | Joe Goodwill @Average Joe Cyclist
25. New Year’s Resolution: Cook More Often! | Kim Pawell @ Something New for Dinner
26. I Should What? 28 Ways to be Happier | Karen Young @ Hey Sigmund
27. 9 Ways to Get Healthier In The New Year | Amy Maus @ Home and Farm Sense
28. In 2015 Resolve to Take Control of Your Money | Kristia @ Family Balance Sheet
29. Eucharisteo: A Year of Thanksgiving | Lani Padilla @ Simply Fresh Vintage
30. No More Tears at IEP Meetings: Make This Your Best Year Ever! | Lisa Lightner @ A Day In Our Shoes
31. Learn to Save Money on Groceries | Melissa Buckles @ Everyday Savvy
32. How to Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution – For Real This Time! | Michelle @ Dishes and Dust Bunnies
33. 52 Weeks to a Better You: Week 1 – Go to Bed Early | Mindi Cherry @ Moms Need to Know
34. Food Street: How a Community Has Joined Forces to Start a Street Farm | Sam Walker @ Bubble ‘N Squeak
35. Organizing Coupons with the Binder Method | Sara Steigerwald @ Sisters Shopping on a Shoe String
36. How to Make This Year the Happiest Yet | Shambray @ Shambray.com
37. A New Year, A New You | Sharon Rowe @ How to Get Organized at Home
38. 5 Ways to Get Paid for Losing Weight This Year | Anna @ Real Ways to Earn Money at Home
39. Tips for Successful Whole30 | Deanna Michaels @ From This Kitchen Table
40. 75 Ways to Be Healthier in 2015 | Maryea Flaherty @ Happy Healthy Mama
41. How to Make 2015 the Best Year Ever! | Jennifer @ My Boys & Their Toys
Fashion Resolutions: How to Add Style to Any Outfit | Ellen Christian @ The Socialite’s Closet